This is definitely a great upcycle as there were only tiny scraps left, and I forgot to take a photo of the skirt in its before state. The fabric is a purple polyester shantung, so easy to sew and easy to launder.
This pattern is so so quick. I traced the smocking dots and then used carbon paper to apply to the dress front. The direct smocking (unlike traditional english smocking) is super fast! I managed to get the dress cut from the skirt, and the lining was re-used also. The waistband became the belt (that still needs a buckle). I prefer the dress without the belt, but I think my sister prefers it with the belt.
The dress is simple to make, after cutting the front is smocked and some pleats tacked into place. the back has a zipper and two neck darts and then the back and front are sewn together. I lined the dress as there was no fabric for facings, and used bias binding on the neck and armholes after to strengthen them.
This dress has found its way to my sisters wardrobe as I made it in her measurements. and I intend to make another, and this one will include beading in the smocking. I got this pattern from Amanda at OhSewCharming .